I was reading an article on home remedies in Ladies Home Journal for June 2009. These home remedies were scientifically tested proven to work fantastically. I am listing the Clif notes version, without the fluff:
1. Bee Stings: Toothpaste was found to relieve bee sting pain for up to five hours (better than 8 over the counter preparations and home remedies tested).
2. Diarrhea and Intestinal Infections: 4-6 oz of Yogurt (that stated they contained "probiotics" on the label) per day shortened intestinal infections and cut the risk of diarrhea due to antibiotic use by 40%.
3. Heartburn: Chewing gum for a half hour after a high fat meal cut the burning sensation of heartburn to "mild" or none at all.
4. Poison Ivy: Everyday dish detergent spread over poison ivy rashes for 25 seconds before rinsing relieved the itch of poison ivy. But, it must be done within 2 hours of exposure.
5. Nausea: Steep one slice of ginger (about the size of a pat of butter) in a cup of boiling water for 10 minutes and drink. This "tea" will calm nausea.
6. IBS: Peppermint oil will help 1 in 3 sufferers of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Prescriptions only help 1 in 6. . . pretty good stats!
7. Packed Earwax: Mix 1/4 teaspoon baking soda mixed with 2 teaspoons water. When lying on a pillow, drop mixture into ear. Wait one hour and flush with an ear syringe and warm water. (Do not use on children with tubes)
8. Toe Nail Fungus: Apply Vicks VapoRub to nails with fungus daily until the normal nail grows out. This works on 38% of patients vs. 35% with prescription.
9. Warts: Duct Tape works better on warts than freezing. (80% vs. 65%). Put a small piece of duct tape over wart for 6 days. Remove tape, soak wart in warm water and rub away soft areas with a pumice stone or emery board. Repeat until gone, about 2 months.
10. Cough: Honey's antioxidants and antimicrobials, as well as coating capabailities, make it a better cough suppressant than over-the-counter cough syrups. 1-2 teaspoon per adult; 1 teaspoon for kids over 1. Do not give to infants under 1 year.