This is the time of year skin and hair definitely have the blahs. After months of drying indoor heat, bitter wind whipping cold outside and limited sun, no wonder the winter blahs creep in. Following are 5 tips to wake up tired, dry skin and hair for a little "pick me up". Spring is only 3 weeks away!
1. Dry Chapped Lips: Use a soft bristled toothbrush or gentle exfoliating scrub to exfoliate dead, dry skin from lips. After exfoliating, apply a hydrating (non-petroleum based) lip balm. The exfoliation not only smoothes the lips, but they should feel a little plumper because of the extra blood flow to the area!
2. Dry Brittle Hair: When the dead of winter arrives, try to let hair air dry whenever possible. If you need to blow dry, use the lower/cooler setting on the hair dryer. With furnaces on full blast, moisture is sucked out of your hair all day long (fly away city!). Deep condition whenever you can.
3. Dry Skin - Cleansing: When cleansing your skin in the winter, surfectants in foaming washes reak havoc on your face. Try to use a creamy cleanser when cleansing to hydrate and not strip skin of precious oils it needs to stay supple in the harsh days of winter.
4. Dry Skin - Moisturizing: After cleansing and toning, moisturize your skin before it is completely dry. This way, the hydration will be locked into the skin and last longer. Try to moisturize morning and night. If you have a rich fortifying cream for night time, apply before bed to get a little extra umph you may not need after the flowers bloom.
5. Makeup ~ Minor Tweaks: Give your skin a fresh glow by using a small amount of bronzer along hairline, cheekbones and T-zone (make sure not to use too much . . . just a kiss of color). Now use a little bit of shimmery gloss on lips. This gives the look of healthier lips and gives the impression of plumpness.
What are you waiting for? The powder room is calling!